Some Time (For Plants)

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Pots for the Cuttings I

Yesterday I found out about a new (to me) kind of planter, with a built in tray underneath to catch drainage. I bought 4 black ones for $1.99 each at the Tru-Value and brought them and a small bag of potting soil to Day Camp to provide new homes for the 4 coleus cuttings M. & I brought there on Friday. I can't wait to hear whether they did the repotting. We still have 3 of the little guys at home waiting impatiently for a new home as their peat pots try to decompose. Also, about 4 cuttings rooting in styrofoam cups, about ready for their own peat pots soon.

2 Comments:

  • Hi, Linda,
    I am full of admiration for those who actually successfully transplant a plant from one container to another! I have a few gorgeous plants that are several years old but never get much bigger because I am terrified to move them. Maybe I should just take them to a nursery and ask them to do it!!! (Have been contemplating this for a long time but never did it.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  

  • I admire that too! I haven't actually done it yet. What I did was cut some of the ends of the original plant off, and put them in a cup of water until they grew roots. Then I planted those in small biodegradable pots, which you can then put into another pot, & the roots grow through it, & it biodegrades.

    Some bookstore browsing I was doing yesterday indicated repotting is not always necessary. If the roots aren't coming out your drainage holes, and your plants look fine, you don't need to do it.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home